As the Corona virus pandemic grows and more people are working from home, interviews are becoming more technical – meaning, interviews are becoming more phone or Video Call’s based, with the exception of some companies still meeting face to face but outside of the office environment, i.e. coffee shops.
At Marlin Selection, we have come up with some helpful tips that you could put into practice as clients and candidates in face-to-face and electronic interviews.
In face-to-face interviews, it may be worth doing the following:
- Offer to confirm in writing that you have not visited any of the most infected areas and that they have not been in to contact with anyone with flu like systems.
- Do not shake the interviewer’s hand
- Suggest having the interview off site
- Have the interview in the middle of the day so the candidate is not travelling on a packed tube.
When having a phone or VC based interview the following is advised:
- Dress for the interview – phone call or VC, how you feel and present yourself going into the interview will transfer in the call
- If having a phone interview, stand up as this opens the diaphragm, but also keeps the momentum going on your side
- If on a VC ensure that the lighting is good, there is a neutral background, you are away from any noise and of course that there is a strong enough WiFi connection
- For VC’s it is so important to do this from a laptop or PC for the following reasons
- It means that the camera will be held still at one position
- Your hands will be free therefore one less thing to worry about
If you have any further questions or would like some more tips, please feel free to get in touch.